View Single Post

Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 1,331 Times in 325 Posts
Lightbulb

Hello Daniel
That is a nice early Model 57 with a very Cool Paine Bead front sight blade. It can be converted back to the standard Patridge style sight easy enough as it has the Two Older style sight Pins in the sight base. I have always liked the .41 Magnum over the .44 Magnum. I tell Guy's the Only Difference between the Two caliber's being the .41 Magnum compared to the .44 Magnum is .019" In Bullet diameter! The .41 Magnum has a little less recoil than the .44 Magnum and a Little better long range Trajectory due to the Lighter weight and diameter of the bullet.

Sadly, The .41 Magnum did not get the attention that the More famous .44 Magnum did. I feel there was two reasons for this. One reason is that the .44 Magnum had a Head start on catching the Big Bore lover's eyes as it came out in 1956 and the .41 Magnum came along in 1964. The Other reason is that Remington developed the cartridge for a Police carry round down playing it at a reduced loading and velocity to keep the Public from whining about the massive power of this round, and that placed a dark cloud over the caliber almost as bad as the .32 H&R Magnum got. To get the Most out of the .41 Magnum round it must be hand loaded.

This caliber is an Excellent Deer harvester. I took the 7 Point Buck shown below with a 6" Nickel .41 Magnum over 25 Years ago at 40 Yards. The Bullet entered the right chest cavity and exploded the Heart and left lung when it exited. it Piled that deer up within 30 Yards from where I shot him. Model 57's are Far less common than the Model 29's out there and Nickel examples are a very hard find with the shorter 4" examples being almost Impossible to locate. Shown below my Buck is my N-Prefix model 57 in it's case and by Itself. It is one of the Only Model Marked guns in my collection that will never be considered to be sold or traded. I have an excellent hand load worked out for this caliber which exceeds the Famous .44 Magnum in velocity and long range results if you should load your own ammo and would want to try my Proven Deer Recipe PM Me, I would be glad to share it with you. Long live the Model 57's and the Infamous .41 Magnum round.

The Following User Likes This Post: