Thread: Chest rig
View Single Post

Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've used this holster a lot starting with a WY moose hunt before it had the extra ammo carrier. I improvised with an elastic type ammo carrier which worked OK. After the trip I sent the guys at Haugen a photo of my make do ad on and asked if they could make one to match the holster. They sent one which I added to the strap as seen in the photo. They asked if they could use the photo on their web page which was fine with me. The rig has been back to WY several times and is carried on most field outings of any kind. The best thing about a chest rig like this is that it works as well in the summer with a t-shirt on as it does in the winter with heavy clothes. Last year I added a chest rig from Diamond D for my 4" 686. Really I like them equally well but for different reasons. The Haugen holster has a strap to attach to your belt to keep the holster from shifting. It doesn't work without a belt available but also doesn't seem to shift around much when wearing heavy clothes. If you choose the Haugen I recommend having the retaining strap left several inches long so you can easily grab it while wearing heavy gloves. The Diamond D holster is just as well made, goes on a little easier but has no way to tie it to your belt. The fit to the revolver is so tight that it could really use that feature as you have to hold the holster with one hand and draw it with the other. I also an extra ammo carrier added to the Dia. D and had the holster shaped high enough around the sight area of the gun so that the sights are better protected. Chest holsters work great most of the time for me but they do get in the way when doing some kinds of chores. Both of these companies were very good to work with and did whatever they said they were going to do. When my 629 isn't in the chest rig it's in a Simply Rugged pancake. Nothing but good to say about the holster and the company.
Bob