View Single Post

Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 AM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonzo
I am not an expert on the model 41, but I believe the model 46 and model 41 the barrels will interchange.
Not all 41 and 46 barrels can be used on the other frame. I've read threads that go into detail and you probalbly can find one of them.

Quote:
As for the light weight field barrel made from a 7 inch barrel that did not past muster in the accuracy test, has this ever been confirmed?
This is the first time I've heard Field barrels were made from reject 7 3/8" barrels, however, in their earilier years Field barrels were cut down 7 3/8" barrels. The hole for the barrel weight was plugged two different ways which I've seen lead to arguments over whose Field barrel is original. Member Civil1977 generously e-mailed me an article on 41s and 46s from the 1991 Journal of the Smith & Wesson Collectors association which coves this. I can pass it on to you if you like.

Quote:
Also there were several variations in the 5 inch field barrel. With a ramped front sight, red ramp front sight, and target type front sight, unramped.

Also, my model 41 has a light weight field barrel which I purchased several years ago.

The rear sight has two white dots, which I have heard is a rather rare variation in itself.

al
I think you'll enjoy the article. PM me if you want it. Don't mistake me for an expert but the Field barrels I've handled that were 7 3/8" barrels shortened by S&W appeared to have their original patridge sight relocated the same as my 5.5" non-original Field barrel. I've seen a couple of latter Field barrels that were solid up front or in other words not cut downs. Both had red ramps and one had a revolver rear sight. My guess is the ones with revolver adjustable sights were the last ones produced. Whether the white dot blade in your Field barrel's sight is original is a good question. Older 7 3/8 and Field 41 barrels use tall revolver sight blades, so it could have been easily changed by an owner but I have not seen factory two dot blades for revolvers. I have however had my gunsmith touch sights with an end mill then add drops of white paint.

Last edited by k22fan; 03-17-2015 at 10:47 PM.