View Single Post

Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Liked 1,576 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsieFlynn View Post
That manual page #37 talks about the laser maintenance, not the gun maintenance. So, the word 'cleaning' pertains to the laser cleaning.

My BG 38 has a silky smooth action after 5 weeks of dry-firing
The language is not clear:

The Insight® Laser must be removed from the firearm before inspecting, cleaning, replacing batteries, or performing other maintenance functions.

elsewhere,

Never disassemble your BODYGUARD® 38 firearm. There are no user serviceable parts in or on this firearm.

and

CAUTION: Some cleaners can cause damage to your firearms.You should avoid immersion in solvent altogether and avoid ultrasonic cleaning of any type with your BODYGUARD® 38 revolver.

(Emphasis added)

In English, the antecedent is assumed to be the most recent term, in the "laser" maintenance paragraph, that would be "firearm". Sadly, the wording does not make a distinction about what is being cleaned. Either of us could be right or wrong.

However, there is no gasket to keep fluids from intruding around the sight or around the activation button. The laser's microcircuit board and tiny switch assembly surely would not fare well exposed to anything like water or cleaning fluids. None of us is going to clean the interior components of that little laser.

I attempted to call S&W Customer Service for a direct answer. Too long a wait. I may try again or email for an answer.

On the other hand, it's easy enough to clean around the sight with a Q-Tip or patch, after all, it's polymer and inherently grunge proof. That's what I do.

Until I have a definitive answer from S&W, If I feel the need to use a cleaner, MPro7 in my case, I'm not going to risk screwing up the laser. It's fairly simple to remove and reinstall.