View Single Post

Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,195 Times in 2,575 Posts

I'm in north central Florida, and I'm not aware of a competent gunsmith. I usually send them to S&W when I don't get the results I need. But, what you said about the previous owner using primarily .40S&W ammo in it seems a good posibility. Even after the reaming I gave those charge holes, there seems to be a faint, blurry line, almost like a different degree of pollish to that part of the charge holes. Some holes are more pronounced than others, but it is visable when holding the gun in a firing position with the cylinder open using a bright LED light from the muzzle end. I am wondering if using a more agressive polishing compound would break that bead? I am down to 5.9 to 6.0 grains for my next step down, but somehow I don't think that's it, and who wants to shoot minimum loads all the time? NOT ME. The bore mop I used was really packed in there, and I am amazed that there is still a line of demarkation. Oh, and my MOAL is 1.125, by the book. these LSWC's are set all the way back to where just the barest edge of the bullet body is visable, so I think you are on the right track. What do you think? Thanks, Flapjack