View Single Post

Old 04-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Liked 95 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. Smith View Post
I think that's pretty much what I said. The firearms instructor told me that after Missouri started issuing CCW permits, it became legal to have a legally possessed loaded firearm anywhere in your vehicle or on your person without the permit. I'm not sure but I think that applies to people 21 years of age and older, like me...60. Open carry is legal in Missouri, but is subject to local ordinances.
Peace,
gordon
But actually, your post above is not exactly correct. It is perfectly lawful, for example, for a person to carry a .22 rimfire handgun concealed on his or her person while they hunt, as long as they are A) lawfully entitled to possess the gun, and B) are also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game. The caliber of the concealed gun in this instance, is irrelevant. On the other hand, if you are using the handgun to hunt with, depending on the season, it's possible that you COULD be restricted to any centerfire caliber with expanding type of ammunition only (firearms deer season, for example). Squirrel, rabbit, crow, or predators can all be lawfully hunted with rimfire calibers using solid (non-expanding) bullet designs.

In addition, hunting has nothing to do with our laws that regulate or restrict how you may transport a concealable firearm in your vehicle. Those statutory requirements are separate and stand on their own. As per RSMO 571.030.3, it is lawful for a person 21 years of age or older, who is otherwise lawfully entitled to possess firearms, to carry a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle without a CCW permit. That concealable firearm can be carried in the glove box, in the console, under the seat, in a separate case, or on your person as long as you remain in the vehicle. If you step out of the vehicle onto property that you do not own or control, with the firearm concealed on your person, and you do not have a valid CCW endorsement, it is a felony offense.