View Single Post

Old 04-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default Update: recent shooting session

I took my SIL shooting yesterday, as my wife was under the weather.

I suspect SIL has a Model 19 at home from her and her husbands description.

She was heading back home the next day, so I put her on the fast track, no time for .22 and the like.

Handling the Model 581, and Model 19 was really tough for her small hands. Reaching the trigger was tough. Could it have been the Pachmyer grips?

Shooting in DA was impossible. Shooting about 40 rounds in SA was a struggle, but I could see her confidence building and she was comfortable.

For someone her physical size, and mental makeup (this is passive lady and who suffers from anxiety issues in stressful situations) she was a trooper!

Recoil wasn't an issue. Noise wasn't the shock she/I expected. Even a guy touching off .40 cal next to us didn't bother her much.

Ammunition was .38 Special cobbled togeather from assorted brands and grains, with even a few +P thrown in...

Within the first cylinder, she took great instruction in my limited experience of stance, and grip and was safely launching projectiles at the paper... 10 to 15 feet.

At the very end she shot few rounds out of the 649 Jframe. A little complaining, but nothing offensive, but given the choices nothing she wanted to do again.

She certainly handled the size weight of the Jframe.

Clearly she needs to look at other home defense handgun options, but she toughed it out and was proud of her target.

Once home... My jealous wife fumed that SIL shot more accurately with a bigger caliber her first time at the range. So it was nice to see her competitive desire to move up, with confidence that if SIL can do it... anybody can.

I'm really thinking with practice, slowly stepping up in load, and possibly a better grip on my 649 (I think they are the stock boot grip), my wife could handle my Jframe or Glock 26 class 9mm.

I don't see a mouse for the spouse

I'm learning its a mistake to underestimate the ladies in my life.

Last edited by wnr700; 04-10-2011 at 01:55 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: