View Single Post

Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Well done! That is a beauty.

...right place at the right time.

I had a similar deal. A guy at work comes in one morning and wants to know if anybody wants to buy some guns. I ask what he has, he rattles off a few autos and then I hear a 44 revolver.

What kind of 44? I ask.

He thinks it is a S&W 629 Classic. Oh yeah, what do you want for it?

That is when I realized this was a guy who knew nothing about guns except that he bought a few of them years back looking for a new hobby, shot them a few times, put them away and forgot about them and now his wife wants all the guns to go.

He did not remember what he paid for it, but he's had it a long time... "I dunno, I guess $200.00".

Well, I did not want to seem too eager, so I told him to do some research about what the gun is worth and let me know what he'd sell it to me for. (I work with the guy and did not want to hear how I robbed him later when he finds out what it was worth).

A week later, and he did not research gun values and he still wants $200 for it. I met him at the local gun shop to do the sale and it is the first time I see the gun. 629 Classic, pre lock, pristine condition, about 1/2 a box of ammo ever shot through it, and he had a scope put on it (the scope alone was $200) (also the scope was the first thing to come off).

I gave him $300 for it outside the shop and we shook on it. He looked at me like, $300? what the?... I said it is a real nice gun and it's worth more than $200. (I didn't want him to be able to say I got him... and it is a good thing too 'cause the gunshop had a few 629's in the counter for sale at their "real" price).

By the way, it was real uncomfortable for a while when this guy sees the 629's in the counter for sale and what they were selling for. I told him how "guns shops can really jack the price up" but hey, I told him to do his homework on the cost and he didn't.

He was happy to get $300 his wife wouldn't know about, I was happy to get the 629 for $300, we still work together and so far he doesn't hate me.

Every once in a while a deal comes along!

Ss