View Single Post

Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 PM

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Default Pusser crash

No, I have seen nothing to back up the tie-rod story, just speculation. In my opinion, I know of two other crashes that occurred with similar year model Corvettes. There was speculation that he may have been poisoned. Nothing ever panned out as his father "Carl" didn't want his grave disturbed for autopsy.

The big problem with those cars (Corvettes) was HORSE-POWER. The cars would out-run the bias ply tires and even the new radials out at that time had lots of problems (Remember the Firestone 500 radials from 73-74) They had major problems sheding their belts. Now, years later, we know about matching a quality tire that is speed rated to a particular car for safety reasons.

There was a witness, if memory serves me right, that lived close that thought they heard a blow-out or gunshot right before Pusser's crash. Which a blow-out, would allow for the car being out of control and producing skid and yawl marks like those left at the accident site.

Trooper Paul Erwin worked the crash. He later retired from the Tennessee Highway Patrol and was later elected Sheriff of McNairy Co.
The Following User Likes This Post: