View Single Post

Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 PM

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

Presently, I own four .357s, two Ns and two Ks (4" 27, 6" 28, 4" 66, and 2 1/2" 19). In my opinion there are very significant differences between the Ns and the Ks. The Ns are much bulkier and heavier guns than the Ks. They are superior at absorbing recoil for that reason. Shooting 158gr. Magnums through my 28 is a snap, I barely notice the gun's recoil. My wife, who shies away from any gun that "hurts her hand" loves firing magnums from my 28. I find that Ns can be fired very accurately partly because recoil is not an issue. Muzzle rise is less with an N than with a lighter gun and, thus, it's easier to get an N back on target after a round is fired.

But, Ns have their disadvantages, too. Their bulk, which is a big asset when dealing with recoil, makes them ungainly and awkward to carry. Strap an N on your hip and you'll feel it quickly. Walking around with one of those all day long would be quite wearing. I've carried my 4" 27 for short periods. An hour or two is all I can take before the discomfort associated with lugging that mass becomes unpleasant. Another disadvantage with the Ns is that the trigger is, in my opinion, inherently heavier on an N than on a lighter gun. Stands to reason, rotating the cylinder while the trigger is drawn back requires much greater inertia to overcome due to the mass of the N-frame cylinder.

My Ks are relatively light and, because they are light, they constitute true carry options. As I type this I'm wearing my 19. I can carry that gun all day long without discomfort. My Ks have better triggers than my Ns, for the reason that I discussed (less mass in the cylinder).

But, they also have their disadvantages. One definitely feels the recoil associated with firing magnums through a K. 15-20 rounds is the maximum my hand and wrist will take from firing either my 66 or my 19. One problem associatedwith firing magnums through a K is that the muzzle flip produced by the round makes it difficult to quickly reacquire the target. I can shoot my Ns for accuracy, using magnums, much more rapidly than I can my Ks, also shooting magnums.

I've had to make a compromise in order to carry one of these revolvers. My primary carry piece is my 19. I carry strictly .38 Special with this gun. Yes, it has the potential for firing magnums. But, it wouldn't be practical for me to carry magnum rounds in this gun for defense. First, the 2 1/2" barrel isn't going to allow magnums to acquire nearly their peak velocity. Much energy will be dissapated as a consequence of the short barrel. Second, the recoil is so much that reacquiring the target firing magnums would be difficult.

What you choose ultimately depends on how you intend to use the gun. For range work and, perhaps, hunting, I'd go with the N. For carry, a K, hands down.
The Following User Likes This Post: