View Single Post

Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Liked 6,354 Times in 2,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabrace View Post
Anybody got one of these? If so how do you like it? At $500 it certainly is attractive for my first 1911.
I had two RIA 1911 45’s and sold them both. I bought one used for $400 and one like new in box with papers for $410. The used one had been shot a lot by a competition shooter and the firing pin had been peened out of shape. I replaced the firing pin and it worked fine. In fact they both worked fine but I am retired and older and my eyes just could not use those tiny sights.

I decided not to mess with putting expensive sights on them and sold them. They sell an upgraded tactical version for a little more money but the sights are not much better. To me, $500 for the basic gun sounds real high. If I were going to get a 1911 and pay that much for one with so few quality features, I would pay a little more and get a used S&W 1911. There are plenty of them out there and many with very few rounds through them. I have seen them for sale in the $650 dollar range with Novak type white dot sights and in SS.

However, if you don’t mind the small military sights and just want a very basic and reliable 1911, then the RIA is fine, but I would try and get one for a lot less than $500. My brother bought one of their tactical 1911s for a little over $400 ($429 I think) new on line about six months ago and the standard models are often on sale for under $400 + shipping.

What many people do is buy an RIA then put on several upgrades that end up costing as much as a S&W and still not being as good as a Smith. Don’t get me wrong if the RIA’s that I once owned had better sights I would still own them as they were totally reliable and relatively accurate, if not the best cosmeticaly. While no one has the kind of warranty that S&W does RIA reportedly has a very good warranty and good customer support.

Also the RIA are truly military style and you can use standard military parts in them. I think they bought the old Colt 1911 machinery and use that to make their guns. Some of the so-called 1911 guns out there are not truly compatible with standard military 1911 parts.

Also you might consider an American Classic II Model if you want a less expensive 1911 (under $500). I have not owned one, but if I were going to try for a new low end 1911, I would go with the American Classic over the RIA or the RIA upgrade tactical. The American Classic has a lot more features and a good reputation as well.

If you don’t have to have a 1911 single action, then buy a good used 4566 and IMHO you will have a much better self-defense weapon.