View Single Post

Old 04-16-2011, 04:49 AM
US Veteran

Liked 542 Times in 218 Posts

I just chanced by the this post and glad I found it, as it answered a similar question. I just brought home a Model 1917, government issue. The serial number is 161580, but as I inspected the crane and the inside of the frame where the crane meets up, there is another number, 24681. This puzzled me as the frame in the base of the grip, cylinder and barrel all had the identical serial number of 161580. I also noticed the "eagle" proof mark next to the number on the frame that does not match up with the serial number which is in accordance with opoefc's information. There is an "A" stamped just above that, any idea what the represents? I'm very happy with this 1917, although the exterior finish is showing it's 92 years, it is in very good mechanical condition with a very clean bore and chambers; the interior is rust free, and it locks up as tightly as my brand new 619. The grips appear to be the civilian versions applied aftewards, as I know it should have the government grips, but I'm not exactly one to complain about it at this point. Thanks for the great info; it saved me a moment of panic after I brought it home!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1917 15 April 11a.jpg (49.4 KB, 458 views)