View Single Post

Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts

I wish I had some super experience to highlight the S&W 3rd Generation 45XX series, but I really don't. I work for an agency you probably read about on occasion in even the smallest local newspapers across the county, but that doesn't really add anything to the S&W experience as we authorized many different pistols.

I've carried a 4506-1, 4516-1 and 4563TSW for a while...a while in the rain, in the mud, in the blowing sand, inside a trash dumpster, on high risk stops, in an entry stack, and shoved down the back of my jeans while scared to death. In all cases I've had complete confidence in any of them and have learned what they do really well and what not so well (in my experience at least).

4506-1

This my uniform and anything other than concealed plain clothes carry pistol. I've learned it'll feed anything I can shove in the magazine and will hand cycle empty cases with equal enthusiasm as live rounds/dummy rounds. The 4506-1 will easily keep pace with the custom Kimber 1911s we use for the tactical team, but in my opinion is much more reliable. It is very easy to maintain and reliable to a fault. It's heft is comforting when it's out and stands out at night when pointed at a person intent on doing you harm. I prefer the traditional double action to single action only and like the simplicity of drawing and firing, without having to push a button or flip a switch. As a side note, the 4506s have been around so long and have made such an impression that they tend to command respect and have a following in their own right quite separate from the person carrying it. To illustrate this I've seen on multiple occasions where the deputy/officer carrying the 4506 gets the immediate attention of the average citizen or older officer as they recognized it as being different than the common plastic pistols found on LE use.

4516-1
I've carried his pistol for years in plain clothes use and everything I just said about the 4506-1 pertains to it as well. It's basically a Colt Officer's Model that works all the time and doesn't require a switch being flipped to turn it on. I have found in the -1 model the 19# Wolff springs work best when the factory springs wear out. I've added a spurred hammer to it to make it a "mini-4506" and I love the fact that it's the same manual of arms and I don't have to re-think what I'm doing.

4563TSW
I recently switched to this pistol for concealed carry, non-uniform use and it has all the same attributes as the 4506-1 and 4516-1, but with a significant weight reduction. I've found the extra recoil isn't hard to overcome, but the pistol doesn't look as "traditionally pure" as the 4506-1 and 4516-1 if that makes sense. While I love it and use it daily, I could live without the big billboard "45 Tactical" on the side.

I don't have any cool stories to share specifically related to the 45XX series, but I can say I've shot them muddy, sweaty, bloody, inside a building, outside, with a gas mask on and off, rested and exhausted, and without exception each and every one hasn't failed to put the round where the front sight goes, and do it repeatidly until the magazine was empty or replaced with a fresh one.

The 45XX series does get attention from others in uniform...some wonder why the "boat anchor" is still around and go back to playing with their Kimbers and plastic guns, and some look at it and silently knod figuring you carry it for a reason (cause you will stand out) and respectfully want to find out what you know that they don't.

All in all, having complete freedom to carry something else, I won't.

If I could have one wish though, I'd like to have a 4506-1 with a CHP-style integral rail...that would be nice to have.

If you get a chance to buy one, don't hesitate. If you can get a 4516-2 insead of a -1 I'd do that as recoil springs are much easier to find.

If you're wondering what the 45XX series doesn't do well that would be answered by it's weight. The 4506-1 and 4516-1 aren't light pistol. They aren't too big to carry concealed, but of you're the kind of guy that wears shorts and a small belt there are better choices (the 4563TSW). I'm 6'02 and 220 pounds and feel like I can easily carry any of them easily and find a proper belt and holster take away any excuses.

I have never regretted buying a S&W 45XX and when younger LE look at it and roll their eyes, I don't hold it against them when they eventually ask to borrow it and then ask "Does Safariland make a duty holster?"

Get one if you can, be glad if you already have one, and if you're required to carry plastic on-duty, well, there are those of us out there who understand.

One last thing....holsters.

If I could recommend anything to guys who are starting out with the 45XX series for LE use, it would be to realize SIG P228/P229 holsters fit the 4516-1, P226 holsters fit the 4566s and even the 4506s, but the 4506s stick out a quarter inch. Safariland makes duty holsters for all of them and the 4563TSW with a X200 on it fits the Safariland P226 with X200 duty holster. I like the Aker leather holsters as they do a great job for the money. An any given day I carry a 45XX with two spare 8 rd magazines, a S&W 649 and a 5 rd .38 reload in a Safariland Comp1 speedloader (carried in a Safariland Split-Six pouch between my primary gun and badge).

In short, when you think of the 45XX series and are trying to find a holster, look at the SIG holsters as they'll usually fit. If you want a kydex holster for a 45XX I don't think the SIG versions will fit. If you're interested in a 45XX, you're probably not a kydex sort of guy anyways.

By the way, A. E. Nelson leather in Oregon makes outstanding duty gear for the 45XX series. I carry 5 spare magazines plus the one in the pistol and their quad mag pouch carries the magazines easily. S&W 45XX series and black basketweave go hand in hand...but, yes, Safariland makes holsters and so does Bianchi in their Accumold variety.

Last edited by Leiden; 04-16-2011 at 07:57 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: