View Single Post

Old 04-17-2011, 12:26 AM

Liked 5,630 Times in 1,544 Posts

" non-gun, non-hunting, non-prior service, do-the-minimum-acceptable, "this is only a job," type "
^ this.
I get these guys all the time. "I don't like guns" they say.
"Good thing you're not in the ARMED FORCES" I always tell them.

Back to the S&W: Strangely, the Beretta got me started on 3rd gen Smiths. I love 1911s and revolvers, and because of shooting them I just CAN NOT STOP riding the slide stop with my thumb on basically everything out there that isn't a Beretta or a S&W auto. They are just far enough forward to allow me to place my thumb where the safety would be on the 1911 and NOT ride the slide stop. You know how many times I had failure to slidelock on empty mags with a Sig 228? Maybe a thousand.
I love the controls of the Beretta, especially the "G" model with the decocker-only function. My 4566 has this same feature, and I tried to send my 6906 in for conversion to this feature, but Smith tells me they no longer do it.
I still love 1911s, but to get one that runs like my 92G and 4566 and 6906 AND shoots straight, you have to spend a little over a grand. It cost me more than that to get the Colt I have now and more than that for the Smith Custom Pro I 1911 that I recently grabbed. In fact, I'm trading the Custom Pro I for a Smith 4567 with night sights next week. I could not find a 4563 locally, but the search is on.
sorry for the rambling reply. As I get older I get more loquacious.
Best,
Steve