View Single Post

Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 PM

Liked 42 Times in 16 Posts

What a fantastic thread! I carried a 4586 (department-issued) for the first 7 years of my LEO career up here in NE Ohio. Our duty load was the 230gr Ranger SXT. Sadly, our department switched to fantastic plastic in .40S&W. I bought my 4586 for a fair trade-in price and never regretted it.

While the 4586 was definitely a boat-anchor, it was a supremely-reliable and accurate gun. The only issue I ever had was during the academy when we were shooting at an outdoor facility. The temperature was around 10 degrees that morning and we stood around a burn barrel to keep warm. When it was my turn to shoot the slide would not reciprocate properly, which caused several failures to eject. The oil I was using had nearly frozen in the gun. The rangemaster re-lubed it with Tetra-Oil and the problem was immediately solved. I'd hardly blame the gun for that.

If memory serves me correctly (that was 15 years ago) I had used the oil that came in the old Hoppe's cleaning kits. Since then, the only oils I use on carry guns are Tetra or FP10 and the problem never repeated itself.

Great thread... good memories.