View Single Post

Old 04-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Great Thread guys!

I work with meh92 and he clued me in on it.

John Helms, meh92 and I have trained with Larry Mudgett a few times in Pittsburgh PA, great training. Hopefully he'll be out this summer for some more training. Thanks much for the info on the SW .45 in LAPD service, very interesting.

I wrote the following blurbs about our old 4586 and 3rg gen SWs in general on different internet gun forums, look at these dates!:

August 30, 2004, 01:48 PM
"I used to have the 4586 as an issue duty gun. I liked it,
and wish I was still allowed to carry it on duty. It had a
lot of nice features: fully dehorned, beveled mag well, big
fixed Novak night sights, undercut trigger guard, serrated front
strap, nice wide grip tang, choice of backstrap configuration,
reliable 8 shot mags, stainless construction, slim and easy to
carry off duty in a custom pancake, and most importantly it shot big bullets. A much better gun,
IMO, than the plastic minor caliber *** they replaced it with."

October 5, 2000, 11:26 AM
"Hello,
I carry a DAO SW4586 daily, on and off duty. It has really grown on me. It has never malfunctioned.
It has some excellent features(factory dehorned, bevelled mag well, front strap serrations, changeable
grip angles, nice wide grip tang, big fixed tritium sights). If you don't like the mag safety, there are
ways to get around it in a tactical reload situation. I would prefer it in an alloy frame, with light mounting
grooves, and this model is available. In my experience, the .45 acp SWs(4506,4566,4586)are very reliable. Note
that LAPD now gives it's officers the .45 acp option in the form of the 4506(I believe the 4566 and 4516 may be
optional). The LAPD show on Discovery Channel shows that these SWs are being carried by a LOT of cops, by their
choice. Chicago gives cops the option of the 4586. On Tactical Forums Home, there is a guy with mucho leo experience from California, and he states that CHP has had excellent results with the 4006, some examples easily going 50k rounds, and also having excellent results with(gasp!) 180gr subsonic
JHPs(W-W, Rem)."

Since then, some 4006s with CHP have gone over 100K rounds! Pretty durable system, and CHP decided to stay with the 4006 in TSW form instead of changing over to another weapon system. Makes alot of sense to me, why not go with a proven gun that all your Troopers are trained on and have leather gear for?

I went to the academy with several Officers who were issued the 4506 and 4566, great guns, worked great for those Officers in training. My issued 4586 was used, and the mag springs were literally half the length of the guys with the new mags. The department supplied me and my partner with new mags and I never had a bobble after that. I used the 4586 to shoot IDPA successfully and also qualed as "Master" on our duty PPC type qual course. It was a very shootable gun. We had a Beamhit system at work that really got me dialed in on the gun. It was a laser installed in the barrel, and you dry fired at various reactive targets throughout a room. You typically would do some PT, use the Beamhit, etc. Really effective training tool.

I had the chance to chat with a WV State Trooper recently. They actually switched from the 4006 to the 4566, one of the only agencies I am aware of to switch from 40 to 45. One of the reasons was to go away from the double stack to reduce the size of the grip for the smaller Troopers IIRC. As you guys know they are getting new 4566s with melonite treatment to replace their standard 4566s. The M&P was not a popular choice with the Troopers in testing evidently.

Interesting to learn that LAPD is giving Officers the option of the Smith .45s again. I certainly wish we had as liberal of a weapons policy as LAPD, and allowed for Officers to have some choice in their duty guns. Oh well glad to have a paycheck.

I am carrying a Gen4 G22 and a Gen3 G27 as BUG, with 165gr full power Gold Dot, pretty good combo I think.

This thread has really got me jonesing for a SW .45 of some sort.

Dave Williams