View Single Post

Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Liked 1,835 Times in 602 Posts

The following was posted by COSteve on Paco Kelly's Leverguns forum:

Paco Kelly's Leverguns.com • View topic - Rifle Primers in .357?

COSteve
Post subject: Re: Rifle Primers in .357?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:43 am
Senior Levergunner

I contacted CCI back a couple years ago and asked to speak to their primer tech. I was connected with a wonderful woman who had worked there for 37 years. I asked her the following, "What is the difference between your SPM primers (550) and your SR primers (400). Specifically, what's the difference between their size, their cup thickness, the primer compound, and amount?"

She pulled out the data sheets on both and compared them. As she was reviewing them she casually mentioned that, "You know small pistol and small rifle primers are the same size. It's the large pistol vs large rifle where the rifle primers are slightly taller." After her review of the sheets (I could hear them rustling), she replied that their specs showed that they were the same size, the same cup material and thickness, the same primer compound, and the same amount.

I asked her if that meant that they were the same item boxed in different packaging. She replied, "I've been reloading myself for over 20 years and I only buy SR primers (400)." We chuckled and I thanked her and said good bye. I use Wolf SR primers in all my 38spl and 357mag loads and have had no issues in slightly over 4,300rds so far.