Thread: C96 Mauser
View Single Post

Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 PM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

They're kind of like a Luger,,you should have at least one.

I still shoot both of mine occasionally with some older Remington 30Mauser ammo that I got with one. Pretty whimpy stuff but that's OK, I don't need a magnum C96. Down to 3+ boxes though.

A friend did crack the locking lug area on the barrel extension of his using Tokarev ammo. He had it welded and he refitted it. Did a very nice job being a machinest and tool maker but has never fired it since.

I load w/o the stripper clips by pulling the bolt back with the index and middle fingers, and using the thumb to press against the hammer spur underneath to hold the bolt in the retracted position. It'll balance freely & easily in that position, open,,with just the use of those three fingers to do it.

Then with the left hand simply pinch the top of open bolt to the hammer with the index finger and thumb and you can hold the bolt open very easily. Now load the pistol with the right hand.
Once loaded, use that right hand to grasp the pistol by the grip and then release the bolt with the left hand and it'll run forward and load. Ready to go.

Stripper clips are quicker of course...and part of the whole experience too.