Thread: Mag Na Port
View Single Post

Old 04-24-2011, 07:15 PM

Liked 649 Times in 184 Posts
Default MagnaPort pro's and Cons

I had this 629-4 PowerPort model done by MP several years ago. They did great work and I did not need porting as the Powerport model already has porting that uses one large port. Triggerjob is wonderful, smooth as glass DA pull and glass rod breaking single action. I also opted for some cosmetics as well. Pinstriping and Velvet Hone finish (fine granular glass beading) I could have done without the mirror polish hammer/trigger but it was included with the trigger package, so i went with it.

Do I think porting alone (or any of these customizations for that matter) decrease resale value? Generally speaking, yes, but possibly not to the right buyer. Will one recover the value of the custom work + the price of the gun? Again, I highly doubt it.

Also it depends on the collectability factor of the gun. If it's something with really classic lines, like a Blued Model 29, it ruins the collectability and destroys it's original condition. You will likely only sell it to someone who's interests lie in shooting it and also someone who does not know that buying such a gun will be harder to re-sell when the time comes.

I have had experience with the Magnaport Quad porting (two top trapezoids + 2 side ovals behind that) and I do think it works to reduce muzzle flip. As with all porting, it's degree of effectiveness vary's with the pressure of the round being fired. My quad ports are on a FA 454 Casull and with that round at full-tilt velocity, it definitely works.

IC