View Single Post

Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 AM

Liked 1,270 Times in 693 Posts

FACTS: Pa bear weighed 879 according to game comm ; bear records are by the size of the skull not weight. ;You can "kill" "small" blacks, griz, and giant browns with just about any thing. 158 gr 38 spl at 750 fps, unfortunately in the case of an attack you need to stop it ( brain/ spine ) Corbon's 180 gr is advertised as 1200 fps out of a 6" bbl. Living in the UP of MI I am fortunate to see and hunt black bears, when baiting or coming out of the woods at dark ( during season ) My greatest fear is a skunk!!!, next would be 2 legged predators. I have a revolver ( 500 SW or 629 ) on my hip, my rifle and my hand on a 638 bodyguard in my pocket with CCI gold dot 130 gr. I have NEVER HEARD A BEAR IN THE WOODS. A few scratched the ground for a second or two after being shot, but I only saw them, so I figure my chances in the dark are slim. Hunting spring bear in northwest MT ( libby) My 629 was there, rifle, but my hand was on the 638. Photos of a sow grizz in Yellowstone reminded me why I have a 375 HH and 12 slug. If I had to stand my ground and shoot it would be the nose/eye with whatever was in my hand. Have Fun The bear are unlikely to bother you. Be Safe.