View Single Post

Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM

Liked 6,354 Times in 2,185 Posts
Default Question about concealability

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX15 View Post
And...

Just telling it as I see it.

(Old farts like myself often have a bad habit of that..)

Contrary opinions cheerfully welcomed and equally cheerfully ignored.

Best Wishes,

Jesse
Hi Jesse,

As one old timer to another, how do those very small or “tiny” semi-autos compare in concealability with say a 649 body guard in SS.

For me personally once you go below a 3913 in size, I don’t see much advantage in a semi-auto over a quality revolver. This appears even more so it the gun is primarily a backup. For a long time I tried to talk myself into getting a CS9 or a CS40, but the pure simplicity and near total reliability of a snub nosed .38 with Plus P rounds just kept me out of the very small semi-auto market.

In fact I was totally a wheel gun person up until S&W began making their third generation pistols. Until then my luck with even quality semi-autos was such that I did not trust them for self-defense. Until I got my first S&W third generation pistol I simply carried a .357 magnum or a .38 for my primary concealed carry gun.

Over the last few decades the semi-autos have gotten much better and I now primarily carry a S&W semi-auto (3913 or 4013 or one of their cousins) for my primary concealed carry weapon. If I carry a back up it is a S&W 649 in my pocket.

I simply don’t see sufficient advantage in using a tiny semi-auto for a back up when a snub offers almost the same fire power and is just so much more simple and clean as a machine.

The only real advantage I can think of would be that the very small or tiny semi-autos are easier to conceal, and that is why I was asking the question as I have never really compared their size to a snub nose revolver like the 649 or even one of the air weight variants of the 649.