View Single Post

Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Liked 3,492 Times in 1,286 Posts

Haven't done so for a long time, but I've carried all steel and Airweight J-Frames in them and a Glock 27. There are some really good leather ones out there, but last time I used nylon ones from some forgotten manufacturer. They actually worked quite well. The reason is the retaining strap. It went up and fastened around the leg above the calf with a velcro strap. It was pretty comfortable and secure. For comfort I would wear a thin sock underneath the holster, and I would always pull my outer sock over the holstered gun. That helped somewhat in hiding it and added a bit more security.
A good ankle holster will hold the gun securely and comfortably, and I've used them for thousands of hours over the years, but I don't any more. The draw is far too slow and awkward, and I have found many carry systems that work better. Most people who have carried for a long time have tried just about everything at some point. We reject what doesn't work for us and find what works best. I've been at it for over 26 years now, and I'm still learning.
Jim