View Single Post

Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 PM

Liked 1,461 Times in 257 Posts

Gentlemen,

GREAT threads indeed. I found a 1967-vintage M58 that was gently used. I traded a Wilson Combat custom Colt Gov't Model for it. I've wanted one for almost 30 years.

I sent it off to Dan Printz (danthegunman.com - Home) for his high polish blue. It's at my local SoCal smith getting put back together. I have an extra N-Frame bobbed DAO hammer with a countoured/polished trigger. I also have the original
.265" service trigger.

When it's done, I will have a set of Magnas with a T-Grip or a set of Don Collins custom Boot Grips in Indian Cocobolo.

I have come back to the .41 Magnum after a hiatus of 25+ years. Good cartridge. I like mine around 950-1000 fps with a hard cast 210 grain Keith-type SWC.

I think the M58 really shines as a backpacker's or horseman's gun. Yeah, I know they're heavy, but to paraphrase Clint Smith: "A gun should be COMFORTING...not comfortable."

The power level that one can use covers a wide spectrum. For serious business, I have Speer God Dots @1200 fps. Probably too much of a good thing, but who cares.

They're wonderful guns...no matter WHO you are. You can't argue with their utility. Just my $.02!
The Following User Likes This Post: