View Single Post

Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
US Veteran

Liked 473 Times in 236 Posts

Rugers for business, S&W for pleasure.......

I'm not as picky with grips and appearance with my Rugers as I am with my S&W's. Ruger GP100's and Sixes were designed as duty guns, first and foremost. I usually hate Pachmayrs on a blued gun, this is how my PD trade in Service Six came to me, the LEO that carried it needed utility, not looks, and they make my Service Six handle better without worrying about dinging up the wood, and that's all that counts.

As much of a S&W as I am, and have been since the early 90's, I "found" Ruger revolvers in 2008 and they have become my primary CC and HD handguns, and I do a lot of my range shooting with them. I can say I "target shoot" with my S&W's, but I "train" with my Rugers.

S&W's are great guns, very classic and they can be slicked up and made VERY accurate. But my GP100's are no slouch for accuracy either.

Drop in a set of the gold colored Redhawk springs, run a few thousand .38's through that GP100 and you'll be amazed at how slick it gets. Most of my GP's have Redhawk springs, they do not feel "lighter" so much as "smoother" with less staging. It's hard to describe. They are at their best in target or hunting guns used primarily in SA. For my defense GP's I stick with the bronze colored stock factory springs.

The Ruger has the edge for being reliable as a sledehammer, has big, chunky parts and it takes a LOT to break one. Short of outright abuse there's not much you can do to get a GP100 to stop working. They will digest your hellacious handloads with no problems.

Lots of PD's, State Police agencies and govt. agencies issued Ruger GP100's and Six series revolvers. The PASP and NJSP used stainless 4" Security Sixes for a long time. So did the NYPD, with their DAO .38 Service Sixes. Tons of security companies also used .38 Special GP100's and Sixes, I have a few trade ins.

The Sixes are great too, I have a pile of 'em. It's a shame Ruger stopped making them, they're awesome "k-frame" sized .357's. If I were a LEO and I was allowed to carry a wheelgun, I would go with a stainless 4" Service Six .357.

Last edited by stantheman86; 05-01-2011 at 05:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: