View Single Post

Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 PM

Liked 59 Times in 28 Posts

Here is my 629-4. I've owned a 45colt, and a 41mag Mountain Gun as well. I prefered the 45colt, but foolishly traded it away. I have been trying to warm up to the 44mag MG, and with hot 44special loads it is just fine as far as recoil. 44mag loads are stout, but not painful. I'd swap it back for a 45colt no-lock MG in a heartbeat, but not because the 44mag is unpleasant to shoot. I simply have a soft spot in my heart for 45colt revolvers. Having the option of going magnum if the urge strikes or situation merits it is kinda nice, though.

Still, 45colt will do the job just fine, even without ramped-up loads. I can't use the 44mag to it's full distance potential due to aging eyesight, so the flatter shooting characteristics of the 41mag and 44mag never get utilized at any appreciable range.

By the way, the 41mag was a nice gun, too. Not as flexible as the 44mag as far as factory ammo, or as fun as the 45colt, but great if you reload for 41mag and extremely accurate. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. I can't speak for the 357 version other than to say that a 3-1/2' 27-2, or any 4" 686 or 681 is pretty hard to beat in 357. The MG would be even better if they made it in 3-1/2" rather than 4" (in my narrow-minded medieval opinion).