View Single Post

Old 05-05-2011, 09:59 AM

Liked 78 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerSpy View Post
any one got a good load for 180gs LTC ? I see allot of 240 and 250gr can you get 2 inch groups at 25 yards with 180gr ?
I have tried the Speer 180gr swaged cowboy bullets in a Horton 3" 624 using WSF, Power Pistol and Green Dot. The Green Dot was the best and would come close to your requirements, but maybe I didn't hit the right combo with the others, usually solid performers for me in about anything I load. I didn't try Unique; although it is widely regarded and admired as a general purpose powder, it is no longer my first choice 'go to' powder. I would consider trying the 180s with Trail Boss for a light 44 Special load. I would likely start at the max listed load level with Trail Boss (! the only powder I will do so !). I've just had such reliable performance from the 240 LSWC Speers (at well above target level) loads that I haven't seen a need to use up the rest of the 180s, even for my 6" 24-3. But, always the load tinkerer, perhaps it would be fun to work up something to use them up in the Ruger Lipsey's 4 5/8" Flattop Blackhawks.