View Single Post

Old 05-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Liked 307 Times in 195 Posts

Daddyschatz:

there is more than one right way to achieve your goal of 'clean brass'.

How you go about establishing your own method depends on a lot of variables important only to you.

My own reloading journey started 30 years ago with the then-new Dillon 450 progressive press. I had never used a single stage press, and learned on first the 450, then the 550, and now the magnificent 650 progressive. Each can be used as a single stage if you wish.

I wrestled with what seemed a crucial decision between choices then of the traditional tumbler style vs the new vibrating style. I couldn't afford what I though I wanted so settled for a cheapie orange Lyman Turbo 1200 figuring to save up for what I "really" wanted later.

That 1200 still performs wonderfully to this very day after 30 years, so I'm pleased. It serves well using medium coarse walnut shell with a capful or 2 of Dillon blue stuff now & then. I got a lifetime supply of the walnut shell at Harbor Freight for $9 a box. After 8 years, I still have most of it waiting its turn.

I experimented for years with a variety of corn cob/magic elixers/other media, but settled for efficiently and economy on the walnut shell. Yes, I tried the red-rouge impregnated stuff too. Unnecessary and rather messier than expected. Undoubtedly there are other satisfactory media. I'd try the ceramic stuff but will wait pending depletion of my current crushed walnut shells.

I have never found the need to trim straight wall pistol cases to length, nor does the Dillon set up require case prep other than basic cleaning, usually taking 20-60 minutes, depending on how shiny I want the brass.

I have experimented with using an ultrasonic cleaner for brass; results are still investigational. I did use it enough on small gun parts to learn the mysterious powder it came with, added to water, was ineffective. I used a number of other suggested solutions, including as advised by my gunsmith, WD 40 deep enough to cover the parts.
It proved effective for cleaning but raised the concern of flash point and potential explosive or burning fluid scenario.

I then bought the condensed cleaner-stuff from one of the major suppliers, that is added at 25:1 or thereabout IIRC. It worked better than anything else I've used in the cheapie u/s unit I have.

The biggest surprise, was throwing in an old corroded double handful of 45 LC brass, mostly nickle, which I had left from shooting the Holy Black several years before. I had rinsed them off in the soapy-jug- on the way home, rinsed with clear water, then put away at the bottom of my 'lose it in plain sight' pile.

They had crusty bits of fulminating chemical debris that had grown over time; I considered them total scrap before trying the ultrasound.

They came out really clean.

So whatever you find in your own methodology will serve you well if you just keep experimenting.

Some will swear only one way is right; I don't care how you do it or what others do to serve their own needs. My method works perfectly for me, and that's all that I'm after.

Cheers on your new hobby.

Last edited by m657; 05-08-2011 at 01:46 PM.