Thread: Sterling Silver
View Single Post

Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 PM
US Veteran

Liked 809 Times in 295 Posts

The "value" is like anything else. It is "worth" only what someone is willing to pay for it.

You see it all the time in this forum: I found a '83 Whizbang w/ two magazines. What is it worth? Again, it is worth what someone will pay for it.

To silver- The run up has been both astronomical and a bubble. No dealer wants to be holding thousands of ounces of silver at $45 because he/she knows it is a bubble and it will pop as all bubbles do. So it might be "worth" less than spot price to him and I don't blame him.

Sterling silver is something like the numismatic value of coins to which someone referred earlier. The problem is that grandma's silver might be a run of the mill pattern that does not demand a premium. Here, again, the dealer does not want to be stuck w/ thousands of pieces of run of the mill silver at $45/ounce.

Silver rounds (usually 1 ounce coins) follow the same pattern. The usually sell for 5% over spot and will be bought back for about 5% under spot price. (For you gold/silver bugs, you're starting down 10% + sales tax right out of the gate) Here, again, the dealer does not want to be caught w/ 1000's of ounces of silver at $45.

Sorry, but the short version is still that it is worth what someone will pay for it.

Last edited by lonejacklarry; 05-09-2011 at 09:41 PM.