View Single Post

Old 05-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Liked 282 Times in 164 Posts

Cabelas is making it hard to keep track of their Herters brand ammo. You literally have to have a score card to keep track of who's currently making what ammo.

Cabelas has two styles of Herters ammo. The standard yellow box and now a black "Select Grade" line.

Last time I checked (Dec '10) the yellow box line of ammo had the Polyformance coated steel cased ammo made by Ulyanovsk of Russia (factory symbol is a double-arrow design that forms a circle or oval). Now mkk41 is telling us he's seeing cirillic lettering on the cases (my guess it's possibly "Б********з" for Barnaul Cartridge Factory). Also found in the yellow box line in .380 Auto only was brass cased ammo made by PT.PINDAD of Indonesia (case stamped with PT. PIN). This .380 ammo was the only anomaly amongst the yellow boxed Herters that uses steel cases in all calibers.

Now Cabelas has introduced their black box Herters "Select Grade" that uses brass cases in all calibers that they offer. In Feb when I went to the Reno, NV. Cabelas store and checked this ammo in 9mm and .357 Mag, it was stamped with "nny", which is Prvi Partizan of Uzice, Serbia. Now it appears that Fiocchi of Italy is supplying the ammo. If the cases are stamped with G.F.L. And the boxes say made in the USA (MO), this tells me that at least the cases are being imported to the MO plant to be loaded here and packaged for Cabelas Herters Select Grade line of ammo. When they run low on the Fiocchi ammo, who knows who'll they "job-out" the next contract to.