View Single Post

Old 05-14-2011, 05:31 PM

Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonnakid View Post
That is an interesting theory, but I think that it would not have that much pressure on the barrel as to effect the shot groups. And here is my reasoning, the 15-22 is pretty much a free floating barreled firearm. For example, you could remove and cut down the hand guard all the way to the last hole toward the recevier and then reinstall the appox. 1 in of hand guard. You have a fully free floated barrel. The hand guard has no direct affect on the barrel.

Not to say your style of shooting is doesn't work. Each one of us is our own person,
Unmodified, the handguard endcap touches the barrel and in effect is not free floated. The 15-22 is free floating if you remove or modify the handguard endcap(by enlarging the barrel hole so it has 360 deg clearance around the barrel). The torque effect and benefit of removing the endcap has been discussed and debated pretty heavily here on the forum in the past.

I think the 15-22 is more affected by handguard flex due to its polymer construction and smaller barrel diameter. An actual AR is rigid enough to be used in combination with a poncho to make a field expedient stretcher capable of supporting a grown man's weight, and survives without damage. I don't think a 15-22 would hold up to this. You would likely never see this torque affect on an actual aluminum AR platform. I don't think the polymer receiver, polymer handguard, and barrel attachment method are rigid enough to be free of flex...and it does not take much to affect a round at 50 & 100yds.

That being said I can achieve sub 1" groups at 100 yards off a bag with the 15-22, and cannot off a bipod. I'm not certain it has anything to do with flexing, but I like my theory just the same