Thread: Model 67-1
View Single Post

Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Liked 877 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wskinner View Post
Question to you guys...do you think I should leave it at it's original luster? or should I go all out and buff it to a nickel shine? Once again, it's already been shot, so it's not holding NIB value. Thoughts?
Deciding to polish a stainless gun like yours is going to be a decision that will surely haunt many people in the future.....

I'm a collector who has followed S&W's for decades and I believe I can say polished guns are and will receive much more scrutiny than original finish guns.

The problem is so much cosmetic abuse can be covered up by unscrupulous sellers that it will become very difficult to sell them using pictures, especially over the internet.

Many collectors are already seeing guns portrayed as NIB or near NIB when in fact they have had many, many rounds fired through them for many. many years. Consider that even a S&W factory re-blue or re-nickle can have a negative impact on a guns value.

A revolver like your 67-1 from the P&R period has already achieved collector status to many people. Keeping it that way will enhance the value over time..

I don't say this to denigrate people who have chosen to polish their stainless guns. That's their choice. Simply as a "heads up" to be considered when we make any modification to any quality handgun, especially current low production and potentially collectable ones...

JMHO