View Single Post

Old 05-22-2011, 07:16 AM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

I've seen and shot two of them. Not for me. One friend replaced his short-lived one with a 5" 63, which he loved, albeit for a short time (I bought it from his estate.). To quote him re his 'Rough Rider', "If your expectations are low... they will likely be met!". When asked if it would suffice for the occasional shooter, he said, "Think box of ammo - not brick!". He wasn't very fond of his, that's for sure. I recall his lamenting that it had a plastic hammer. His comment on the 63 was, however, classic, "I should have listened to you earlier!". I had suggested he buy something better when he bought the Rough Rider - and buy it once. He had just bought a Ruger Single Six when he passed.

I know it is difficult to make the case for a Ruger SS, not to mention a S&W 63 or 617, but I will restate the obvious. You cannot pay too much for a good firearm. You can easily pay too much for a poor example. A low fixed income will require careful planning - perhaps, even selling/trading an old friend, but a new rimfire revolver can find it's way into your safe.

Good luck with your Rough Rider.

Stainz