View Single Post

Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 AM

Liked 9,184 Times in 3,621 Posts

An order of protection is just an official document explaining why you shot the person who violated it.
  1. Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
  2. Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.
  3. Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.
Barring an official police protection detail assigned specifically to you, if you're not willing and able to protect yourself, you're just not going to get protected at all. That goes for the best police department in America and the worst. They could pass a federal law REQUIRING the police to protect you as an individual, and it still wouldn't actually be POSSIBLE... at least not without them NOT protecting somebody else.

And regarding the victims, some of them are smart and get the heck out of dodge. WAY too many keep either coming back to the guy who beats the **** out of them, or let him come back into striking distance of them, even AFTER they get orders of protection. I had an upstairs neighbor back in the '90s whom I repeatedly called the cops on because I could hear him beating the **** out of his wife/girlfriend. Every time, she'd say he didn't hit her. The only thing that stopped him from beating her to death (temporarily, at least) was when I saw him climb out onto a ledge. I called the cops, who ordered him back in, then grabbed him when he refused. He made the mistake of kicking the cop who pulled him in. The last time I saw that imbecile, he was handcuffed in the back of a squad car, banging his head on the side glass, a la "COPS". They moved out after that, but I have NO doubt that she willingly continued on in her MOS as "punching bag". Some people you just can't help, because they just won't help themselves.