View Single Post

Old 05-22-2011, 06:26 PM
US Veteran

Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS View Post
My brother has one and like his HiPoint it is what he could afford after saving for a long time.

It shoots every time he pulls the trigger, and he usually hits the general area he aims at, and he like it.

To him (and me) that is all that matters. It will never outshoot my 617, but then again, I will never turn down a chance to shoot it or his HiPoint, and I will never refuse him a chance to shoot any of my guns. In fact, when we go shooting, he shoots my M&P's more than me, and I shoot his HP a lot. I even provide most of the ammo and sometimes even "forget" to put a box back in my range bag if we have any left over so he has some to shoot if I am not around.

Just because I can afford better guns does not make me better, it just means I need to be a more sharing kind of guy to those who can not.

Part of what makes a person a "responsible" gun owner is the way he acts around others. A snob only makes one look down on that guy and his weapons. If someone is looking at one of my guns at the range and I feel they are able to shoot it safely, I will offer them a few shots. If they are not shooting safely, I will either offer a few hints or tell the range officer so he can give them help. Makes it a safer more enjoyable place for everyone, and has even resulted in 2 new pistol sales at the store upstairs where the people shot my gun and went right up and bought one!

Okay, I'll shut up now.
Very well said LHS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainz View Post
I've seen and shot two of them. Not for me. One friend replaced his short-lived one with a 5" 63, which he loved, albeit for a short time (I bought it from his estate.). To quote him re his 'Rough Rider', "If your expectations are low... they will likely be met!". When asked if it would suffice for the occasional shooter, he said, "Think box of ammo - not brick!". He wasn't very fond of his, that's for sure. I recall his lamenting that it had a plastic hammer. His comment on the 63 was, however, classic, "I should have listened to you earlier!". I had suggested he buy something better when he bought the Rough Rider - and buy it once. He had just bought a Ruger Single Six when he passed.

I know it is difficult to make the case for a Ruger SS, not to mention a S&W 63 or 617, but I will restate the obvious. You cannot pay too much for a good firearm. You can easily pay too much for a poor example. A low fixed income will require careful planning - perhaps, even selling/trading an old friend, but a new rimfire revolver can find it's way into your safe.

Good luck with your Rough Rider.

Stainz
Thanks Stainz and I know what you mean as I have a stainless 6" 617, 3" 317 and 4" 17-6. I truly love quality but I also love knock-around, inexpensive guns that shoot well. I also LOVE rimfires and can't get enough of them especially at this price if it shoots point of aim.

I'll report back after I receive it.