Thread: J-Frame 60
View Single Post

Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,613 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman View Post
Yup, even trade.
The 60 is flawless on the outside. There is a small rust pit under the grip and some light surface rust down at the end of the butt. The innards had never been lubed. The previous owner had never fired it, but I don't think he was the original owner. Nevertheless, it shows no wear at all, so it's easy to assume that it has been fired very, very little. I cleaned every part and shined up the reset block and the frame where it slides then lubed that and all the pivots.

Upon assembly I tried the action and - oh my, it's so smooth I can stage the trigger now, and when it's cocked, oh Lord, that's a scary light trigger. There's a half-cock position that's a little harder to fire from. I'm glad there is a firing pin block or this would be a four-shooter.

I can hardly wait to go see what I have.
Just for your information, S&W revolvers don't have a "half-cock" position. If yours does, you may want to have a gunsmith look at it. I raised an eyebrow at two of your comments. The other one was "when it's cocked, oh Lord, that's a scary light trigger." Both of these conditions indicate to me that a previous owner did a not so correct action job on your gun. It could be dangerous. FWIW