View Single Post

Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,594 Times in 8,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig View Post
I like the rings, too. Problem for me is that if the gun wasn't built with one the serial is in the middle of the butt so the ring must be offset and to me it looks ugly this way. There are ways to correct this but at Bowen's hourly rate I don't think I need a ring that badly. It would be cheaper to buy a gun with a ring than to add one.
It's not unusual for the factory to add lanyard rings to its new guns after the butt was already stamped with serial number. They just drill thru the number and restamp the number on the grip frame under the left grip. I have added an S&W lanyard ring to an N frame in just that way. It's not difficult to do once you have the ring in hand to get measurements from. You only need to drill two holes: one for the ring stud and one for the cross pin to retain the ring. They are readily available for $15 to $20 depending on the source of S&W parts that you use.

For the correct factory location, here's a quote from Lee in another thread: "I have NEVER seen a swivel hole on a K or N frame that was located anywhere but the standard place, which is ALWAYS app 1/10 inch forward of center. If you measure them by hand, don't be fooled by slight differences in how much corner rounding there is- it is always app 1/10 inch forward."
S&WCA #819