View Single Post

Old 05-26-2011, 05:54 PM

Liked 4,294 Times in 2,106 Posts

I suspect that Andy had End Shake and the B/C gap confused. While a B/C gap of as much as 0.010 isn't really an issue in the milder calibers that much end shake would need to be addressed immediately. The problem is that cylinder slapping forward and back will act a lot like a slide hammer. As a result it will quicklly increase and eventually the cylinder will start slapping the barrel.

In your case the end shake is checking in at 0.004 inch and this is the point where I think that it needs to be corrected. When you correct it the ideal should be between 0.0005 and 0.001 inch. If you can find an endshake shim at 0.0035 inch that is what I would install because it will minimize the distance the cylinder can move during recoil and make the repair last much longer. If you find the cylinder binds a bit, back off to a 0.003 inch shim. Good news is that you are early enough in addressing this that all you need to do is install a shim or stretch the yoke shaft a small amount, no need to re-seat the barrel which is one of the problems with waiting too long.