View Single Post

Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 PM

Liked 1,023 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luangtom View Post
I don't wanna rain on the parade, but I am not having alot of luck fitting the J-frame adapter to my M&P340. There is a gap of day-light between frame and adapter. I tried them on the revolver with both S&W grips and after-market grips. Pix attached.....

Should I grind into the channel to allow the frame to seat or just try them on a different J-frame?
No, those don't look like they're fitting quite right, Tom. I checked yours (and everybody else's I mailed out the other day) on my 49 (20 years old, steel) and they fit fine. I've also just checked another one from the same mold on my 442 which is only a couple of months old. I only have one pair of the standard (Magna) grips, so I used them on both guns.

In both cases, the top radius of the grip adapter comes at least up to if not actually a hair above the frame edge ahead of where the grip ends. It looks like yours won't go up that high. On both of mine, the front lip of the adapter also rests against the back of the trigger guard. I can't tell if yours fits well in that spot or not - looks like maybe, but not sure.

The bottom tip of the grip adapter should be about a full quarter of an inch above the bottom line of the grip frame. Looks like yours might not fit up that high.

Can you tell where the interference is coming from? Is the channel above the copper clip too narrow, such that it's bottoming out on the frame before the adapter gets fully up around it? I'm not sure why it should be doing that on your frame when it didn't on mine, but then again maybe the Scandium frames have a slightly different contour.

One thing you might check: I believe the adapters actually "bottom" (top?) out against the wood of the grips. On my grips, the bottom "tip" of the grip is exactly on top of the edge of the frame. I can't tell for sure from the photos, but it looks like on yours the left hand (cylinder latch) side grip has a tip that might come down below the edge of the frame. It looks like the adapter is pretty well snug up against the wood of the grip, but it may be the shape of the grip that won't let it get up high enough to meet the frame.

If the problem is not the grip itself keeping the adapter down away from the frame, you can certainly file or grind out the channel if you like. It's more likely to be the sides that need to be thinned than the bottom of the channel itself, but in any event please be careful doing so. I use an Xacto wood carving blade in the large handle to relieve the channel (which is completely blocked by the casting sprue when the thing comes out of the mold) but the plastic is softer when I'm carving on it. I also use a leather thimble on my carving thumb, and a full carving glove on my other hand, when I'm wielding a knife around these things. It's awfully easy to slip when carving on this relatively hard substance.

But if you'd rather not mess with it, please just send the thing back and I'll refund your original payment plus the return shipping.

Whichever way you want to go, many thanks for your feedback.