View Single Post

Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 AM

Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Richard View Post
Wouldn't you have a very difficult time "importing" a handgun to the UK? I recall when I was stationed at RAF Sculthorpe in Norfolk County that the paperwork to purchase a firearm, back in the early 60's, was daunting. I understand it is worse now. Because I lived on base, any firearm acquired would have to be kept under lock in the base gun club, only to be checked out when used, and the permit would list the amount of ammo I would be able to purchase annually. If you used all the ammo up you were done for the year.
Yes I would, good job under law its not technically a firearm! No import license needed for guns over 100 years old (vague isn't it?) and since this is exempt under both US and UK law it can be shipped normally. It will be impounded for a short while to be checked and then released.

Your experience seems a bit harsh for the 60s, but visitor gun permits have always been like that, even for the military. What you have described however is how firearms must be kept now, with the exception they can be kept at home. No limits on ammo either, as long as you can safely store it.