View Single Post

Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 1,331 Times in 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyomono View Post
The S&W letter for my gun shows that it was shipped to the Fredericksburg Police Department, Fredericksburg, Virginia. The gun is
98%+, and has clearly not been reworked/reblued. My guess is that the gun was ordered for target practice and had the magna stocks as a special order. The stockes fit perfectly. However, as I mentioned, the letter says only that it left the factory with "checkered" stocks. This would explain the stocks and the lack of S/N on them. But this is a guess.

inyomono

Hello inyomono
I have heard in the Past that several Police departments ordered Outdoorsman and Later Post-War K-22's to train new officers to load and handle a revolver. The reason for this was simple... Low recoil, Low report and very rewarding accuracy results came from all K-22s. Once the department range officer saw the new shooter's confidence rise, and felt that they were safe in Handling the revolver they switched them over to their duty weapons that were mostly fixed sighted M&P's in .38 Special caliber and most of those duty revolver's had 4" or 5" Barrels. The M&P's weighed about the same as the K-22's did and were of the same frame size as the K-22s were. In the past I have also seen other Factory History letter's that call a Guns stocks Checked Walnut stock's and in most cases this also means Service stock's like shown on my K-22 Outdoosman in my previous response. I would say if your gun left the factory with the Magna's stocks on it, the factory Letter would have said Magna checked stocks.. Just my Nickles worth here, as this information is from Many other S&W collectors that have shared it with me in the past take it for what it's worth... Hammerdown