View Single Post

Old 06-12-2011, 05:30 PM

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm3rd View Post
Norway must be an exception to the typical European government's hostility to handguns. I know the Norse and Swedes are big on hunting what they call moose (not the same species as North American moose) and must have access to long guns for that purpose, but have I always assumed that for all practical purposes even Scandinavians are virtually banned from possessing handguns like so many other Euros are. I don't mean a total handgun ban like the UK has, but just so many bureaucratic high hurdles to jump in order to get a license that it discourages most people from even attempting to get their hands on one. And for the few who do manage to get a handgun there are so many restrictions on using it that it's not much use for home or personal defense. Apparently I was wrong about Norway's handgun policy, and in this case I'm very glad to be wrong

Hi 3rd,

there are many pistol clubs in Norway, they are regulated by the norwegian shooting association.

To own a handgun I must first be a member of a pistol club for six month (shooting regularly). I must have a police background check and pass a three day shooting/safety course and then be reccomended by the club instructors/leadership.

I then have a competition card that shows what types of competitions I might be in, this determines the types of handguns I can own. Each handgun is registered and a permit for each is carried. The handguns must be kept in an aproved safe.

Shooting away from the range (e.g. at the cabin) is permitted with the permission of the landowner (me).

By the way, there are shooting comps here in Norway that are shown all day on national TV (not just the winter ski-shooting but 7.62mm long range shooting during summer).

I think the moose we have here are the same as in the US and Canada, we don't have elk though.

Handguns are not usually needed for home or personal defense here in Norway, it's pretty quiet here.

(Nice grips robctwo)

cheers,

-John

Last edited by John H; 06-13-2011 at 02:11 PM.