View Single Post

Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 PM

Liked 1,207 Times in 177 Posts
Default Father and son Governors - Range report!

I picked up this pair of governors today. One is mine, the other was an early father's day gift to my dad. We shot them today with a variety of loads I had on hand. First up was Winchester USA 230gr FMJ .45 ACP, next was a 230gr cast LRN .45 ACP handload of mine. Next was Winchester 250gr lead cowboy load. All of these were fairly mild to shoot. Next up was Federal's 7/16 oz #4 handgun load. At 10 yards the results were devastating with even the wad penetrating the wooden backstop. These kicked like heavy .44 special loads. The final load was Winchester's PDX-1 self-defense load featuring 3 .45 caliber discs and 12 BBs. The recoil of this load was quite brisk, about like shooting 158gr .357s in a K-frame model 19! I could feel the blast on my face. No problems of any kind were encounted. The scandium frame really balances out the weight of that long stainless steel cylinder! The .410s spread quickly and at 25 yards only 1-2 pellets strike the target. The .45 Colt and .45 ACP loads were surprisingly accurate, averaging 2-2 1/2" at 25 yards! BTW, be advised that the Governor will NOT accept .45 auto rim. The cylinder face is recessed for the full-moon clip, and the rims of .45 Colt are about as thick as the full moon clip. However, the rims of auto rim were too fat to clear the breach face. The front sight is a fairly large white dot with a tritium insert. It really does glow in the dark! It glows a bright green. All in all, a very interesting range day. I was very inpressed with the Governor! Feel that Taurus! Here's some pics:

Last edited by Nframe_is_no1; 06-13-2011 at 07:48 PM.