View Single Post

Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Picked mine up Friday and had it at the range yesterday. Shooting .45 Colt cowboy loads, .410s in #8 and #4. Didn't load any moon clips or try buckshot or SD loads yet. Definitely fun to shoot! The guy I was shooting with was immediately sold on the gun, won't be surprised if he has one the next time we connect!

The #4 shot at 7 yards did a job on the target, and the pattern was tighter than I had expected from a rifled barrel, with most of the shot staying inside a 10" circle. Tried shooting a little skeet just for fun. All the pigeons survived!

I did pick up some 000 buckshot and Federal SD rounds (with the 3 discs + BBs). Will give those a range run next weekend.

Quote:
BTW, be advised that the Governor will NOT accept .45 auto rim. The cylinder face is recessed for the full-moon clip, and the rims of .45 Colt are about as thick as the full moon clip. However, the rims of auto rim were too fat to clear the breach face.
Yep, even says that in the newest edition standard S&W instruction booklet. I didn't expect that but in retrospect it makes sense. Too bad, though, as I really like the .45AR. But I've got plenty of acps and Colts around, so I guess feeding it 3 calibers is good 'nough.

Question: Anyone know what S&W says about putting slugs through the Governor? The booklet is silent. Can't see why it'd be a problem, but wondering. And if yes, which type, plain or sabot or does it matter?