View Single Post

Old 06-18-2011, 12:49 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,897 Times in 391 Posts
Default 1969 Tunnel Gun new Pic

Between 1968 and 1969, S&W shipped 23 (known serial numbers) Model 29-2 revolvers, some frame only, to Aircraft Armaments INC, (AAI), in Cockeysville, MD for conversion to what was known as the Tunnel Gun. After a 3 month field test between July-Oct 1969 in Vietnam, it was renamed the Quiet Special Purpose Revolver (QSPR), after some minor mods were made to the weapon. The changes made were based on recommendations from soldiers from the 25th ID, the 23rd (Americal) ID, and the 1ST ID, who field tested 10 revolvers over those 3 months in the VC tunnels in their areas of operation. Read the Tunnels of CuChi to hear about the 25th ID (Tropic Lighting), mention of the Tunnel Gun. S299258 pictured here represents an example that never made it to conversion for unknown reasons. I am very fortunate to have acquired one of my grail 44 magnums, albeit the frame only, just the way it was shipped to AAI on 5/23/1969. There will be a full article presented to the SWCA Journal for publication consideration. With the help of Roy Jinks and members of the International Ammunition Association, as well as retired employees from AAI to include the now 65 year old gunsmith who built the original Tunnel Guns, I've been able to gather much provenance and information on these arguably rarest of the 44 magnum variations. This will all be detailed in the planned article. I had hoped to have a mock up of the Tunnel Gun available by this weeks SWCA meeting in Orlando, but it wasn't possible. It was just finished yesterday by my gunsmith, John Blauvelt in Wallkill, NY. Voted by Field and Stream Magazine, one of the Top 10 Gunsmiths in America, John can do anything with a firearm, literally, and he described this project as "very interesting and a one of a kind job". SWCA members stay tuned for the article in the Journal, hopefully in the not too far distant future. S&W forum members will get an abbreviated version soon as well. For now, enjoy the pics of what must have been one heck of a weapon, as the Army test reports back in 1969-72 certainly claimed it to be. Unfortunately, timing is critical with most everything, and it was with the TG/QSPR. By 1972 when the final Land Warfare Unit/AAI testing and evaluation had been completed and all defiencies, especially with the cartridge (which is the real story), had been corrected, Vietnam was drawing down so the need for a tunnel weapon was no more. This became the Model 29 that really never was.
Enjoy
Chuck

Invoice to AAI 5/23/1969 for two 44 Magnum frames
S299258 and S318575

Factory Letter S229258

Frame only as shipped to AAI 5/23/1969

Notice serial number only, no model # stamp in frame. crane has same assembly number as the frame which was not always the case after AAI gunsmiths cannibilzed the first 10 guns received.

Blauvelt Conversion to exact original specs but false/plugged barrel to meet BATF compliance:

The cylinder chamber walls are paper thin as were the originals due to reaming them out to.526. Notice the daylight seen through the stop notches, as were the originals.

The cartridge is the real story behind this revolver. The captive piston round was capable of containing the blast noise, flash, and other energy normally done by the weapon. In essence, the round is the weapon and the revolver is simply the carrier.

Tunnel Gun Holster built by Bucheimer, Frederick, MD

Custom Made TG Holster for display purposes.

Original TGs at Aberdeen, MD. gun on the left is coated in Teflon and is the QSPR version with lanyard loop requested by soldiers in the field, for a "dummy cord" as Army Rangers call them.

Tunnel Gun Specs

S299258

See this short clip of what I am pretty certain is one of the original test guns. It's about mid-way through.
http://www.history.com/videos/tunnel-rats-show-courage#tunnel-rats-show-courage

Just got the link to a new piece in Field and Stream. Looks like the Tunnel Gun is getting some attention again. Note the gun in the article is a photo shopped 5 screw N frame S&W. This has been the widely circulated photo of the TG/QSPR that looks great, but is not correct. All TGs/QSPRs were 29-2s and 3 screw revolvers.
Chuck
Tunnel Rat Pistol: The QSP Revolver | Field & Stream

Last edited by 29-1; 11-16-2019 at 02:31 PM.
The Following 30 Users Like Post: