View Single Post

Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 AM
US Veteran

Liked 18,981 Times in 6,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A320graham View Post
So which one.
Hello
This is really a question only you can answer, but let me give you a couple things to think about.
Both the guns you are looking at are N frame Smiths. These are wonderful and very durable revolvers. But one is chambered for the .357 Magnum and the other for the .44 Magnum.
Both have the advantage of allowing you to shoot lighter loads. In the case of the Highway Patrolman you can shoot .38 Specials; in the case of the Model 29, you can shoot .44 Specials. That means you can practice with rounds that are much easier on your hand and more conducive to accurate shooting while you get to know your gun. But the price of ammo may be a factor. .38s will cost you less money and will be easier to locate than .44 Specials. Unless you are a handloader, this can add up over time.
When it comes to full house magnum loads, the same is true. .357 Magnums are going to be less expensive than .44 Magnums. They are also going to be easier to shoot. If you are a novice shooter, I really think you'd be better off with the Highway Patrolman as a starter gun. My first centerfire revolver was a Highway Patrolman and I have never regretted that acquisition. I've bought several more of them since that time and they are still among my favorite handguns. (They were also first guns for two of my sons!)
As someone has suggested, this will probably not be the end of the line for you. You can always (and probably will) acquire another Smith down the road. So there is plenty of time for a .44 to take its place alongside your .357.
Good luck - and let us know what you decide to do.
JP