View Single Post

Old 06-21-2011, 03:30 PM

Liked 6,614 Times in 2,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatt51 View Post
What kind of split times were you shooting while you were "outrunning the trigger"?
I wasn't using a timer for the shot strings at that time. It wasn't what many competitive shooters might think of as "fast", though.

I normally run 5 shots in less than 3 seconds when I'm shooting 1-handed (hip/belt line) for speed and accuracy at 3-5 yards, though. Sometimes faster. I'm shooting for accuracy and controllability, though, not sheer speed. The best I've been able to achieve is an oblong hole consisting of 4 shots with the 5th hole not quite touching the 4-shot hole. I'm not a competition shooter.

It stands out in my memory as a weird feeling. I wasn't trying to function the trigger so much faster that it felt like I was short-stroking it. I wait until I can feel the trigger under my finger before I begin my press of an intended followup shot.

Instead, it was more like my finger had recovered and I was ready to press the trigger again, but I couldn't feel the trigger under the pad of my finger for another split second. It had that blurred, out-of-time effect where it felt like my finger and the trigger were moving at different speeds during recovery, with the trigger lagging behind. For whatever reason I can't remember feeling that effect when using the heavier factory spring.

Might've just been the way my timing and technique was falling into place that range session, but it definitely got my attention. I prefer the trigger to run as fast as my finger.

Am I right in remembering that some of the skilled DA revolver shooters of earlier years used to use heavier than stock rebound slide springs to make their triggers recover faster? If so, I wonder how many times they bent or broke a rebound slide frame stud when using such a stronger spring?