View Single Post

Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 PM

Liked 6,591 Times in 2,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarGuy View Post
So, are many of you saying, in my no-tech interpretation(s), that while you MAY reduce the trigger pull somewhat that a myriad of other problems may develop?
I wouldn't presume to say anything against what an experienced, good gunsmith who does a lot of work on revolvers might be able to accomplish with a given gun (even clipping a spring or using an aftermarket spring). I'm not a gunsmith, just a user and armorer.

It's just that when you start to lighten hammer and trigger speed and power by just using lighter springs, you start to lose that "margin of safety" the factory builds in with their heavier springs when it comes to consistently igniting harder primers and/or allowing the trigger to recover under normal (or not so normal) conditions.

There's nothing to say the typical owner might not run into the occasional hard primer, anyway, you know ... even when using the stock mainspring. How much more likely might it occur if an even lighter spring is used? Who can say? If a bit of congealed fouling or grit unexpectedly works its way into the trigger & rebound slide, will the lighter rebound slide spring be able to overcome the unexpected resistance as well as the stronger factory spring? Again, who can say?

In my case, I like to maximize the odds in my favor as much as possible when it comes to using my own J-frames for carry usage.

As a factory revolver armorer who inspects, helps maintain and repairs J-frames owned and used by folks as off-duty and secondary weapons, I wouldn't want to place myself in the position of installing springs of less power than factory springs, and then having someone experience a spring-related functioning problem when they actually needed to use the gun for defensive purpose. That's all.