View Single Post

Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM

Liked 5,205 Times in 2,173 Posts

Quote:
If my only concern was perhaps losing points in a competition, or experiencing a stoppage on a target/leisure shooting range, I'd not be as concerned about spring weight and power.
I'm with you about keeping the springs strong enough for the job at hand: heavier for defense use, but also never so light as to cause malfunctions.

Even in competition, emphasizing reliability can pay off. A missfire from a light strike or a sluggish trigger return really "puts me off my game."
I won my class in a state IDPA championship because the guy favored to win (he actually shoots faster than I) had four failures to fire during the entire match, while I had none. I beat him by less than one second total score. You do the math.

For the person who asked about split times to outrun the trigger. In a K frame, I can start to feel the slack with a 12# rebound spring below about .2 splits, and seem to feel a 13# around .15. So I run 14# rebound springs for my confidence factor. YMMV.
Mr Miculek advocates a strong return spring, and has made an offhand remark he uses up to 18# in speed exhibitions. Since everybody and their brother asks his advice at matches, I just listen to his comments to others and don't bug him. When dealing with the unreal speed of some of the masters (when I'm running the timer) I try to not screw up the procedure and to stay out of their way. The first time I SOed one shooting "6 and 6" from a Bianchi barricade, I saw the quick 6 from one side, the swing to the other side, and 6 more. From the back, I never saw the reload, and it seemed to add no time to the move to the other side.