View Single Post

Old 06-22-2011, 11:51 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,971 Times in 508 Posts
Default Neglect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb View Post
well stated...in my 30 year career i never saw any "neglected/abused guns" as a poster mentioned...they were well maintained...carried and used in all types of conditions daily but not abused....
As for last law enforcement agency I worked for (18 years, before retiring), I can tell you that no one ever inspected duty weapons, other than the things having to work every four months for qualifying. You purchased your own duty sidearm (within certain parameters), so you would think that everyone would take good care of their property, eh? Well, I recall one instance where a supervisor showed up at the range and pulled his uniformed duty pistol out of the trunk where it had been riding around in a plastic bag since the last time he qualified. He got on the line, and got one shot off. Pulling the trigger again produced nothing (it was DAO). This is on account of the expended round being still in the chamber. The cause of the FTE - the gun wouldn't cycle because the slide was rusted solid to the frame!

Now, he was the glaring exception. Most maintained their guns. But it was up to them, as there was no department armorer.

I will stand by my statement that occasionally you see law enforcement agency issued sidearms in a condition that goes beyond normal wear and tear.

Last edited by Goony; 06-23-2011 at 12:01 AM.