View Single Post

Old 06-25-2011, 12:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
It's not unusual for the factory to add lanyard rings to its new guns after the butt was already stamped with serial number. They just drill thru the number and restamp the number on the grip frame under the left grip. I have added an S&W lanyard ring to an N frame in just that way."
For purely esthetic reasons - I love the look of a 4" .45acp revolver with the old style (oval) lanyard loop. I have a 4" model 22-4 that I wanted to have a factory mid-grip lanyard installed on - so I contacted S&W. They gave me a resounding NO - won't do it!

Interestingly - their 5-1/2" model 22 DOES have a mid-grip lanyard - so I'm assuming they stamp the SN differently from the get-go. FWIW - no gunsmith I have contacted is willing to restamp the gun for an installation of the loop - which I guess is understandable nowadays.

Oh well - looks like I'll have to buy one with the longer barrel and rebarrel it with the 4" tube. I hope I have better luck there. (When I asked S&W if they would put a 4" Mountan Gun barrel on my 5" 625 - they also said no. This time, it was d/t their not having any stainless Mountain Gun barrels in .45 acp. Oh well, again.)

john